Monday, January 7, 2013

What does it mean that Jesus died for my sins?

I've been pondering the message of the cross lately.  I love some of the motivations Fr. Richard Rohr expresses regarding Jesus death representing the killing of the divisions between peoples of the day.  Galatians 3:28 says 'There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.'  Rohr says He came to destroy the "my group versus your group thinking".  He came to create one new humanity (Ephesians). Doesn't that sound fabulous?  and impossible?

I have started to feel that the concept of Jesus dying for my sins means for me that I do not have to work so hard at eliminating my selfish ego all the while expanding my consciousness; that Him being fully human and fully God blurs the line for us too.  There is such freedom in this grace that's been given.  I can wake up and know that God has control and I can surrender the effort, finding ease.  Once again, I can create space between the one thinking the "less than" thoughts and the ONE watching, not judging.  One of the best ways for me to tune in to my inner divinity is through my yoga and meditation practice- aligning my personality with my soul's purpose.

Jesus may have died so that we don't have to kill off our egos, hating every part of us that isn't creative, inspiring, loving, forgiving, and perfect. Maybe the entire world isn't ready to embrace this new humanity as one, loving, whole, equal species but I am ready to embrace my being that way. We  have God's spirit within each and every one of us and an ego.  Can we make peace between the two, allowing them the space to  co-exist because  Jesus' life tells us that our humanity is not the opposite of our divinity, it  is the manifestation of it!!

1 comment:

  1. If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are undergoes a transformation.” ~ J. Krishnamurti

    ReplyDelete