Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My bold, straightforward statement to the men behind the walls

I arrive home every Tuesday at 1p.m.

Home away from home for me is a federal prison where I teach mindfulness meditation.

I always say a prayer as I enter. It's not always the same, but it is often "Bless us that we might do your will" or "Thank you for using me to be your presence here today".

Today I felt strongly that I should boldly proclaim how grateful I am for having the greatest job in the world. I do not say this lightly.  18 men gather to sit in stillness with intention, week after week for over a year now.  On a few other occasions, I  have proclaimed that God loves them, forgives them and wants to draw their hearts closer. I express my confidence that mindfulness meditation creates a safe space for feelings to arise in order to heal past hurts done by and to them.


I call my practice my time with the Divine Therapist.

Today I looked these men in the eyes one by one and from my sincerest space within, I said, "My job is to have you see yourself as God sees you when you look at me.  It's reciprocal too.  I see myself as God sees me when I look at you."

 It's a beautiful thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment